Car accidents, minor and major ones, happen every day across the world. No matter how much you practice defensive driving and take extra care while on the road, you never really know what happens next. Accidents are unplanned events. While you can avoid and prevent it, the best you can do is to be prepared. Here are the things you must remember to if you get into a car accident.
1. Stop. No matter how minor the accident is, you must stop the vehicle. Step on the brake as soon as you can. This will prevent further damage or injury. Stopping at the point of collision can also help determine who is at fault when another vehicle is involved in an accident.
2. Check if there are any injuries. Right after stopping your vehicle, check for any injuries. Make sure that you check yourself and all your passengers as well.
3. Call for police assistance. If someone is hurt, call for medical assistance as well.
4. Take photos of the scene and all damages. The only way you can protect yourself should there be any legal processes, later on, is if you have pictures of the scene of the accident right when it happened.
5. Get the information of the other party involved. If your car collided with another car, exchange information with the other driver. Get the name, car and driver’s license number, contact numbers, etc.
6. Call for tow service when necessary. If your car cannot be driven away from the scene anymore, call for tow services. You may also ask the police for assistance if you need to get your car towed.
7. Secure your valuables in the car. Make sure your valuables are secure especially if you’re getting your car towed.
8. Remind yourself of your rights. You are not obliged to make any official statement right away if you don’t want to. If you believe that this could be a serious accident that might require legal proceedings, speak to your lawyer first.
Augusta Tow Truck is the company to call if you need tow services in the Augusta area. Call us at 706-705-5270 for immediate roadside assistance and free estimates.